Around the world, sponsors like you are making an enormous difference in the lives of individual children — and the communities they live in. Watch this uplifting video to see the smiling faces of positive change you've helped create.
Transforming Children's Lives
Sponsorship gives children the gift of brighter futures – one child at a time. Save the Children achieves lasting impact for children through partnerships and provide tools that empower entire communities to better support their children’s health, education, protection and growth – breaking the cycle of poverty for generations to come. As a Sponsor, you provide encouragement and hope for your sponsored child through your messages, birthday cards and so much more. The simple act of sending a message brings unimaginable happiness to your sponsored child. In fact, many children tell us that hearing from their sponsors is a highlight of their friendship. When a child knows they have someone on their side, they can be inspired to dream big!
Meet some of our sponsored children and read their success stories.
In 2015, 183,000 sponsors like you supported programs that directly benefited more than 2.8 million children in 23 countries around the world – including the United States. Thanks to our growing community of child sponsors, we increased our impact and reach – helping 29% more children than we did in 2014.
For less than a $1 a day, you can change the life of a child by becoming a child sponsor.
How Sponsorship Helps
Through the power of Sponsorship, you help ensure a child in need has the best chance for success – with a healthy start, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. Our innovative Sponsorship programs address the unique needs of children where they live.
- Maternal and Child Health provides children with a healthy start, ensuring that mothers and families have access to lifesaving health and nutrition services. Each year, 2.8 million newborn babies die from preventable and treatable causes. What’s more 289,000 women die during pregnancy and childbirth. That’s why sponsorship programs support affordable, proven solutions for moms and their little ones. If generous people like you support sponsorship programs, then so many babies’ lives could be saved.
- Early Childhood Care and Development prepares a child for a bright future by building a strong foundation for success in school. Sadly, about 30% of the world’s children fail to reach their developmental potential. And in low-income countries fewer than 1 in 5 children have access to early childhood education. Children who receive good quality math and reading support early on are three times more prepared for school than those who don’t – that’s why sponsorship invests in preschool and other programs.
- Basic Education is a right of all children. It's estimated that 200 million children all over the world will quit elementary school without the basic reading and math skills they will need to thrive. By providing children with a basic education and a quality learning experience now, they will have the tools needed to succeed later in life.
- School Health and Nutrition helps ensure that students aren’t too sick or hungry to learn. Worldwide, children lose 500 million school days each year due to illness caused by unsafe water and inadequate sanitation. School Health and Nutrition programs ensure access to proper sanitation and hand washing facilities and teach children the importance of good hygiene. When children regularly wash their hands, diarrhea – one of the most common deadly illnesses for young children – is cut by one third. When healthy children can go to school – they can learn more and have greater opportunity to reach their full potential.
- Adolescent Development addresses the needs of teens and tweens so they can participate in their own success and the success of their community. Adolescent development programs help them build self-esteem and reduce vulnerability to exploitation, violence, substance abuse, child marriage and much more. Through these programs, teens and tweens learn life-skills about reproductive health, how to earn and save money and so much more.
- Innovation spans across all programs. Sponsorship nurtures great ideas – helping program staff develop interventions that best meet children's needs. For example, Literacy Boost started as a program specific to child sponsorship and was able to grow into a signature Save the Children program used in 24 countries.
Sponsorship Success Stories
We’ll be in touch! By signing up to receive emails from Save the Children you will receive a subscription to our monthly eNews, access to breaking emergency alerts and opportunities to get involved. To ensure delivery of Save the Children emails to your inbox, add firstname.lastname@example.org to your contact list.